Sunday, July 7, 2013

"Independence Day" Ice Cream Cupcakes (★ ★ ★ ★ ☆)

Alright, let's just get the fact that it's no longer the 4th of July out of the way.

It's still July and I celebrate birthdays all month long.  So as far as I'm concerned, Happy 7th Day of your 237th Birthday, America!

I made these for you!  Because I love you!

But also,

...Because I love me.

I mean, you can't really eat.
I don't want to be "that" girl.  You know, the one who bakes for her country, and then sits all sad at home while these ice cream cupcakes melt and go to waste because you never showed up.

I knew going into this that I'd have to eat them myself.

Rest assured, though, I made you something worthy.
I took time to stretch my non-decorating skills.
And savored every bite in your honor.

Then, in my honor, I made sure they were super simple and stinkin' good.
But I have something to confess to you.

It's kind of serious.

I broke a self-imposed baking rule for these.  

Probably the second most sacred self-imposed baking rule of all...right after:
"Rule #1: All Artificial Sweeteners Must Be Exorcised From Nat's Presence When Baking Is To Occur."

I don't even know how to tell you, so I'm just going to spit it out...

ppphaaaa ahhhhh hhhhoooo kkkaaaayyy

I'm about to suggest that you use Cool Whip.
Gasp!       Shock!       Awe!

Yes.  It's true.

For this recipe...      Just this once...

I am officially a Cool Whip promoter.

A promoter of chemically, fake, wannabe whipped cream.

I am actually suggesting you abandon the fatty, fluffy, smooth, delicious treat from God Himself, in favor of this man made garbage.

Effectively breaking, "Rule #2: Imitation Whipped Cream Shall Never Cross Thine Lips."
I know!

What is the world coming to?
What is this blog coming to?!!??
You all know I love whipped cream.

Whipped cream is my hommie.  My love.  My main baking squeeze.

But for these delicious morsels, Cool Whip is your guy.

You see, I make ice cream with whipped cream all the time.  And I know two things to be true:
1) It freezes rock solid.
2) It's extremely rich.

Two things you definitely want to avoid for these ice cream cupcakes.

1) You aren't eating these with a spoon.  They need to have "bite-worthy" texture.  I don't need anyone
    chipping a tooth.
2) Mixing ice cream with whipped cream seems like an unnecessary health burden. Heart attack, much?

I double-dog, triple pinky promise that I would never suggest this to you if I didn't think it tasted amazing.

And, oh, it does.

It's like mousse.  Ice cream mousse.
So light and creamy and refreshing from this soul crushing heat wave we've been having.

These are pretty much a summer must.

So please forgive me.
My goal is to give you the best.
And if the best involves Cool Whip, then so be it.
Ice Cream Cupcakes
recipe slightly adapted from The Domestic Rebel, and introduced to me by Aimee.  That one bite changed my life.

  • 1 - 1.5 Quart Tub of Ice Cream (I used Cake Batter to get the color I wanted)
  • 1 - 8oz Tub of Cool Whip (thawed)**
  • 20 Oreos (or small round cookie of choice)
  • 20 Cupcake Liners
  • (Optional) Sprinkles

Makes 20 Ice Cream Cupcakes
Requires freezing time (2-6hrs)
**Addendum: Apparently Trader Joe's has their own non-hydrogenated oil House Whip.  Wish I knew that before I made these.**
1) Set ice cream out for about 20 minutes before starting.  Cool whip must be thawed from the freezer
    (this can be done overnight in the fridge).
2) Line two muffin tins with 20 cupcake liners.  Place cookie at the bottom of each one and set off to
    the side.
3) In a large bowl, scoop in softened ice cream.  Add tub of cool whip and fold until combined.
4) (Optional) If adding topping/decorations sprinkle a small handle into the mixture for added color and
    texture.
5) Using a kitchen spoon, scoop ice cream mixture into cupcake liners.  Keep adding until the mixture 
     just reaches the top of the liner.  Smooth with the back of the spoon to help level out the tops.
6) At this point, my mixture was very melted so I put in the freezer for about 30 minutes before I added 
    the decorations.  If your mixture is holding its texture go ahead and decorate now, otherwise, pop in 
    the in the freezer for a little bit (just to set) then decorate.  These things thaw out very, very, very 
    quickly.
7) Once decorated, freeze for at least 2 hours before eating.  6 hours to overnight is preferable, but I 
    ate one at 2 hours and it was fine, just not as firm as it could've been.  
8) A side note: these thaw within minutes so they need to be in the freezer until immediately before 
    serving.  The cool whip mixed in prevents these from getting very hard.  
Sure I missed America's Birthday and I endorsed Cool Whip, 
But I just drooled because of my own photo...  
And that's plain embarrassing. 



-----


This post was featured on:







26 comments:

  1. Such a fun summery dessert! Pinning & stopping by from Sweet & Savory Sunday! :)
    Kim @ *Soliloquy Of Food & Such*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been know to use cool whip in recipes too, so you aren't alone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! It makes me feel better to know I have a partner in crime. :)

      Delete
  3. So creative! I love how you decorated the cupcakes. No matter that it's a little late...I love the recipe for other holidays and occassions. :) As a fellow blogger, I can appreciate that ice cream is not the easiest subject matter...your pictures are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tina! And yes, that's why I love these because they are easy and just a change in flavor and sprinkle color can make them perfect for any holiday. :)

      Delete
  4. Found you through Frugal Fooddie Mama Marvelous Monday. =)

    I would love for you to share and link up at my weekly TGIF Link Party if you haven't already this week. Your favorite posts, most popular, recent or new! The party is open every Thursday night and closes Wednesday's at midnight. Followed by (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday! http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/.

    I would be honored if you join us and follow to stay connected Have a wonderful week!

    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! I'll have to stop on by next week since this week is closed already. :)

      Delete
  5. I am loving this recipe! My son would go crazy for these ice cream cupcakes. He's a huge Oreo lover! And sprinkles! So cute; thanks for sharing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, then you should definitely make these for him! Stat! :)

      Delete
  6. Your pictures make me hungry~ I grew up on Cool-whip!! My Grandma put it on and in everything! (so do I) Your cupcakes look so good~Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too. And it's not that I despise Cool Whip it's just that Whipped Cream is infinitely better and isn't made with chemicals. Plus, it on my top five favorite food list so...can't really compare the two in my book! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Totally making these for my next party. They look amazing! And we all break rules from time to time, it's okay ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I made them because a friend fed them first to me. If you make them and feed them to your friends we can continue this chain forever! And what a wonderful chain it will be. :)

      Delete
  8. I haven't used cool whip in a long time. I might have to break my own rules to try these! They look so easy and delicious. Especially during these hot spells we are having.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic idea the ice cream cupcakes are. Easy to grab out of the freezer, portion controlled and just darn cute.

    Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! Ya, the portion control is great!

      Delete
  10. I hate to admit, but as a kid, I loved a big spoonful of cool whip lol. This sounds delish! It's been so hot here in Phoenix that i may need to make these! :) Thanks for linking up to All My Bloggy Friends - I can't wait to see what you share this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And I agree! As a kid...cool whip on everything!

      Delete
  11. I'm not a fan of Cool Whip, but since your logic for using it is so undeniably sound I would grudgingly agree eat about 5 of these little cupcakes. Just to be polite.

    Wait, is that cake batter ice cream I see? Okay, I'll eat 6. Just to be nice, you understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I totally understand. Cool Whip is icky. Only social etiquette could possibly make you try even one of these! I thank you, for your oh so courtesy gesture.

      Delete
  12. LOL at your Cool Whip aversion...with the exception. Ah well, every rule has an exception, or so I've been told. :)

    I'm visiting today from Super Social Sunday and these look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! I think I'm starting to believe that too!

      Delete
  13. What a cute idea! Thanks for joining us this week at the Let's Get Social Sunday!

    ReplyDelete